Darren McGettigan ~ Genealogist, historian and author.
Feel free to contact me for a free consultation and together we can begin the journey to rediscover your Irish family history.
- Irish Family Histories: : What story have your Irish ancestors got to tell?
- My speciality is researching Irish family histories. Have a look at my own McGettigan family history on this website to see the type of work that I do. County Donegal is my area of speciality but I accept commissions to research families from all over the island of Ireland. Typically this type of research involves tracking the main subject family, through the clients own line of descent, back as far as I can bring it.
- Professional Assistance for your own Research: : Due to the wonderful proliferation of genealogical material increasingly available online through free and also subscription websites, people all over the world can now begin to research their Irish family history using online resources. However, some assistance or advice is often needed. There are also always those elusive essential documents which only a researcher on the ground in Ireland can access. If you need assistance with your own research or need to track down individual documents please contact me to see if I can be of assistance.
- History of an Irish locality:
- Academic Assistance: As a professionally trained academic historian, I would like to offer the service of academic research assistance to authors and fellow academics. If travel to Ireland is not feasible please contact me if you need to track down that elusive document or reference in an Irish archive. I am also very happy to provide research assistance to fellow academics and authors who may visit Ireland to conduct research, but who may need language assistance or guidance through the Irish archive network.
- I have many years experience of researching among the collections of the National Library of Ireland, Trinity College Dublin and UCD. I have also undertaken research in the Irish National Archives, Marsh’s Library Dublin and the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, and will undertake commissions to search in the British National Archive at Kew.
- Why not have your family history beautifully bound, with gold lettering, marble boards, slip case and high quality paper? A finely bound family history makes an ideal present for an important birthday or anniversary or at Christmas-time. Colours available include Green, Burgundy, Navy and Brown. The bindings are beautiful and well done by a specialist bookbinder.
Examples of a beautifully bound family history: